Monday, December 6, 2010

Capture 11

We taught the sixth graders, and I felt so much more calm than I do when I teach my peers. I like that sign. I also thought that I was able to figure out a lot of the students in the classroom pretty quickly. There were some that were easy to figure out because they participated so vocally in class, but for most of them it took some one-on-one time to figure them out. I think if I create activities in my classroom that allow for that, that allow me as the teacher to go around and help individually then I will greatly benefit. I will benefit because I will know different students strengths and weaknesses. I will be able to tailor my activities and my class questions to best help each student. Another thing that Geoff said, as we were riding back from the classroom that I thought was interesting was that you can find yourself in these students. If you see a kid that is the same as you were, it helps because you know how to solve that kid's learning hurdles. You have a great insight as to what will help.

Teaching those sixth graders was pretty great also because I got to see that the teacher was himself. When I was in el ed and observed teachers at the lower grades, it seemed like they weren't themselves. Mr. Larson really just acted normally. I saw obviously saw moments when he needed to have some discipline but during the fun times he just had fun. That is really encouraging for me because I am split between which age level I want to teach. It was good to see that Mr. Larson could have fun with those 6th graders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home