Monday, October 25, 2010

Capture 5

The week from October 4-October 8 we had a lecture about the different standards that the nation uses for teachers. Geoff informed us that we will be evaluated according to those standards by our professors as well as the teacher for whom we student teach. I really like that principals look at that when they interview. I think it is a better indicator of the educator being hired than a gpa offers.

I also went to observe at Timpview High School. I observed the metals teacher who was giving a demo to his students about their new project they were starting. It was really good to be able to watch someone teach a hands-on project, especially because I'll probably be teaching shop. He played around with the students a little bit, but still demanded some respect. He had a lounge where kids could come talk with him if need be, which students used. He was in his 50's yet he would make jokes that he thought would make the freshman laugh, but he couldn't make himself laugh at those jokes. Maybe he had heard himself make those jokes too many times. Because he seemed to bring his humor down to the freshman level, I don't think he seemed as personable to the kids as he could have. If I were a student in his class, I think I would enjoy it, look forward to class, maybe learn some skills, but I don't think he'd have a good chance of being a very influential teacher for me.

As I was walking away from the high school I thought about how much I liked Timp's campus. It was really very nice, and the atmosphere seemed so much different than a junior high. I liked it a lot more. Now--I never had school spirit at my own high school, I was just waiting for college, but I could feel some tuggings to be proud of timp and I saw how I could become very attached to a high school I taught at. I liked the teacher, and I don't think I'd want to be him exactly, but if I did turn into him... it wouldn't be the end of the world. Now contrast that with the feeling I felt when I first walked out of an elementary school as an el ed major. Way different. When I left the elementary school I thought- I never want to be either of those male teachers I just met. Ever. That was probably the main reason I looked for a different major. I was definitely made to be a high school teacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home